Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Action Packed Weekend

Gusser's and I witnessed several disturbing events this weekend; as my personal anti-favorite I'll pick on man's closest genetic relative - the monkey. We went to the Hogle Zoo and saw a lot of animals doing animal stuff. Giraffe's using their silly purple tongues to get hay (or something) out of troughs, black bears shadow boxing each other, and a white-alligator just sitting around like it's dead (which is what every alligator I've ever seen in my life has been doing - just sitting there waiting for a baby to stroll by then BAM!). But then we saw a Mandrill (Mandrillus sphinx) doing something not as much funny as it was absolutely disgusting. And you guessed it; it involved poop.
Do I even need to say more? When people think monkeys, their very next thought often includes "poop". Like, "Uh-oh, is there any poop flying through the air?" or "Is that poop I smell?". Now I think that this is because humans are genetically wired to fear poop-tossing monkeys. Luckily for Gussie and I, this Mandrill was behind a thick pane of glass. But that also meant that we had a unobstructed view of this particular Mandrill, who appeared to be attempting to write a message in his own feces. Then, almost as an afterthought chose to... I can't say it. It was gross though, real gross. We walked away and focused our attention on the 3-toed sloth, who was peacefully sleeping in a sling. Much cooler.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Giraffes actually have black tongues.